Floor mattresses present a compact sleeping option that is highly portable while at the same time foregoing the need for a bed frame, foundation, base, or box spring. The best floor mattress can be the perfect companion for a temporary living space, guest house, or campsite. Moreover, the mattress can also serve as a safe play area or yoga mat.
Given the above benefits, it is no surprise that a good floor mattress remains top of most people’s shopping lists time and again. If you have recently started warming your heart towards such a mattress, then look no further. You will find below a list of the best floor mattress options, plus corresponding advice to help you make the choice that’s right for you.
The Top 8 Floor Mattress Options
There are a lot of options out there, but the best floor mattress available will be something that might be hard to find. However, thanks to our reviews (as seen below), you can forego the grunt work and find selections that fit your needs and preferences in terms of size, price-range, comforts, portability, materials used, and durability. Without further ado, here’s what we think are currently the best floor mattress options.
1. Editor’s Choice – Zinus Memory Foam 4 Inch Tri-Fold Mattress
The above mattress by Zinus is sure to provide you a comfortable sleeping surface at an affordable price. The mattress is built as a tri-fold mat, and it boasts three foam layers: high-density foam, viscolatex responsive foam, and ordinary memory foam.
The foam construction provides a firm surface that comes greatly advised for back and stomach sleepers. However, this sleeping surface offers relatively lower pressure relief. Moreover, the memory foam also contains natural ingredients, making it highly breathable, and a delight for hot sleepers. The natural ingredients also help absorb unpleasant moisture and odors.
The mattress is also CertiPUR certified, and this goes a long way towards ensuring that no harmful substances go into making the product. Being a tri-fold mattress, the product is 15″ thick when fully folded, ensuring that users can easily store it away when not in use. The mattress only comes in twin size, though, and this can be a plus for some couples while being the absolute deal-breaker if you’re more into cuddling with your better half.
- Comes with a five-year warranty
- It is also affordably priced
- The mattress has a breathable cover making it suitable for hot sleepers.
- The mattress boasts a firm surface, ensuring a suitable sleeping companion for both back and side sleepers.
2. Second Runners Up – Milliard Memory Foam Tri-Fold Mattress
Another top contender for the best floor mattress crown has to be this option from Milliard. The mattress comes made with two distinct layers, one being memory foam and another being high-density foam. This 2-layer design ensures that the mattress is suitable for both side and back sleepers.
For a product made of memory foam, the mattress also has excellent air circulation. To this end, hot sleepers are sure to enjoy continued cooling, ensuring they do not lose even a wink of sleep. There’s also an anti-slip bottom feature built into the mattress, and this comes in handy, especially with slippery floors, as it will remain in place all night long.
Being CertiPUR-US certified goes a long way to ensuring that the product is safe for your use and the environment’s protection. Like other floor mattresses, Milliard’s option comes in three different sizes, namely; Queen, Full, & Twin XL.
- The mattress offers a solid companion when looking for great pressure relief.
- It also features an anti-slip bottom.
- The mattress is also breathable and with super air-circulation.
- It is also a CertiPUR Certified.
3. Also Great – Olee Sleep Tri-Folding Memory Foam Mattress
Rounding up the top three is Olee’s Sleep tri-fold mattress. The mattress can fold up into appropriate seating quarters for your home while still being among the best floor mattress around. Purchasing the product brings with 4 inches of thickness, with dual memory I-gel and support foam construction. The mattress is the ideal temporary sleeping accommodation at home as it’s 12 inches thick when fully folded. Times you find yourself camping, traveling, or in dorm rooms, there is a guarantee of better sleep time.
The mattress topper is also quite comfortable and with enough support for your back and neck to guarantee you no pain. The mattress is also CertiPUR certified. Effectively, this means that all the products used to make the mattress are safe for use and the environment.
Another significant positive for the mattress is the superior level of comfort provided. There are few mattress options out there that would compare favorably with the Olee Sleep mattress above, and you are guaranteed unlimited joy every time you use it. Given its dimensions too, the mattress promises to be suitable for both adults and children. It promises a longer, hassle-free useful life compared to most air mattress options.
- The mattress is quite comfortable.
- It is 12 inches thick when folded. Thus stored easily.
- The mattress is CertiPUR certified, thus safe for both you and the environment.
4. Most Comfortable – Nature’s Rest BioPEDIC Classic 233-Thread Count Fiberbed
Nature’s Rest is another simple solution that easily makes the cut for the best floor mattress options available today. If you need a mattress that will serve its purpose of providing makeshift sleeping quarters while at the same time offering premium comforts, then look no further. The above mattress is made from eco-fiber fillings, and a cover made from 100% cotton acts to complete the set-up, which works well for both children and adults.
A selection of reviews about the mattress, shows that numerous users have compared their sleeping experience on the mattress as equal to floating on a cloud. The high thread count present in the mattress cover and the eco-fiber fillings that comprise the mattress go a long way towards contributing to such a comfortable surface. The design and construction materials also ensure that the mattress remains exceedingly light and portable. To this end, you are guaranteed to experience minimum fuss should you ever use it, especially when traveling with it.
- The mattress is extremely comfortable.
- It is made from fiber fillings, and this makes it lighter than most floor mattresses.
- The fibers also make it fluffy and cushiony.
- The mattress also comes with a cover that’s eco-friendly, breathable, and hypoallergenic.
- The mattress is available in three different sizes, Twin, Queen, and Full.
5. Most Durable – Lucid Folding Mattress-Sofa
The Lucid floor mattress is quite versatile, as it can be used in almost every known temporary situation. However, its durability is an equally important feature, and one that is certain to give plenty of users the most joy.
The mattress comes with two main layers of foam, the high-density foam at the bottom for longevity and gel-infused memory foam at the top for a plush and firm comforts. The top part is infused with gel also ensures that the mattress remains cool enough to provide the best sleeping experience even for the hot sleepers. This top layer will also delight back and side sleepers due to its nature, very comfortable state. Moreover, the mattress is also quite versatile. Users are promised an equally amazing experience while using the mattress outdoors for camps, or picnics, as they would using the mattress indoors for an overnight guest. On the same breadth of versatility, users have also found great joy in using the mattress as a small sofa.
Finally, the mattress is available in some six sizes, which is an industry high. Accordingly, users can readily choose the mattress that best suits their needs, further ensuring they get the option that will serve them the longest. Making the right choice, combined with a 3-year warranty, is all but certain of ensuring you make the most use out of the mattress, for the longest time.
- The mattress comes with a 3-year warranty.
- It is highly versatile and can even be used as a small sofa.
- The mattress is also quite comfortable.
- It is CertiPUR certified, ensuring that its use is safe for your use and the environment.
- The gel-infused layer at the top ensures the mattress is highly comfortable and breathable.
6. Best Roll Up Floor Mattress – Beautyrest Siesta Memory Foam Mattress
Unlike most other options in our list of best floor mattress options, the Beautyrest mattress above does not fold but instead rolls up when being stored away. The mattress is made from premium memory foam that works to cradle and contour the body perfectly every time it gets called to serve. The floor mattress is often used with a temporary guest bed, but it will also do you proud on a camping expedition as it is very lightweight. When the time comes to get traveling, simply roll it up, and pack it with your traveling bag. Even more good news here is that the mattress comes with its traveling bed.
The mattress is only 3 inches thick, and this might cause you to doubt its ability to cradle you sufficiently. However, using it might soon surprise you as it has often been described as being more comfortable than a sleeping bag or air mattress. As a bonus, the mattress also features a removable cover that goes a long way towards ensuring the mattress remains clean. This cover is machine-washable, so you need not worry about stains causing you constant problems. One downside to purchasing the mattress is that it is only available in one size, the standard twin.
- The mattress is lightweight and easily portable.
- It is lightweight, being only 3 inches thick.
- The mattress comes with a removable cover that is machine washable.
- It is made from memory foam.
- The mattress also comes with a travel bag that enables easy storage and packing while on the move.
7. Best Lightweight Mattress – EMOOR Japanese Traditional Futon Mattress
Suppose you are an outdoors buff that loves a regular picnic or camping expedition, then you definitely should consider the weight when shopping for the best floor mattress options. The same advice also goes for people that regularly travel or those in situations that often include regular visitors. In all the above cases, the EMOOR mattress promises an authentic feel that only a Japanese futon mattress can offer, with cushioning and support is among the key non-negotiables.
The mattress has a core that’s made from Japanese polyester, aka Taijin. This polyester type offers ample support while at the same time providing anti-bacterial properties for the user. The entire mattress also comes surrounded with a much softer polyester quilt, which actively provides cradling to the body while at the same time showing your back and neck some much-needed love and support.
The Taijin polyester also comes with some anti-bacterial properties, which ensures that the mattress is actively fighting germs on your behalf to promote a healthier you. Additionally, the mattress cover that comes with the product is made of 100% pure cotton, and this works to ensure optimal breathability and softness. As such, your sleep times are guaranteed to be more fulfilling, cool, and refreshing.
- The mattress offers a high degree of support and comfort.
- It also comes with a cover that’s 100% cotton, making it highly breathable and soft.
- The mattress is particularly good for side-sleepers but also good enough for other types of sleepers.
- It very light thanks to the Taijin Polyester filling.
- The mattress has anti-bacterial properties that help it fight germs.
8. Best Value for Money – Better Habitat Memory Foam Floor Mattress
The better habitat mattress doesn’t fold but rather roll up when the time comes for it to be stored away. The mattress is 3″ thick, comprising mainly of padded and plush memory foam. This memory foam is quick to conform to the body’s shape, thus alleviating pressure to a degree and manner that puts other roll-able floor mattresses to shame. Comforts are further heightened by cotton/fiber padding that makes the bed extra soft and plush.
Another feature that makes this option feature prominently in the list of best floor mattress solutions is its hypoallergenic cover. This cover reduces the risk of bacteria and mold growth while at the same time fighting dust mite.
While it is not the cheapest option available, the mattress still promises to be one of the most value-for-money options available, and it’s a one-stop solution for both traveling, storage, and camping for both kids and adults. For even extra value, the mattress comes backed with a 1-year warranty, promising you longevity.
However, one slight downside to purchasing the mattress is its size, as it is only available as a single bed. However, if you need the option to work suitably for you and your better half, then you can buy two such mattresses and instantly enjoy twice the size.
- The mattress is appropriate for both side and back sleepers.
- It is a solid option for those that like to sleep close to the floor.
- It comes with a hypoallergenic cover that keeps away allergens such as dust mite.
- The mattress is suitable for single sleepers due to its size.
- It is highly comfortable yet lightweight.
- The mattress also comes with conveniently placed straps for easier storage.
What to Consider When Picking the Best Floor Mattress
The above represent eight options we consider a shoo-in for the best floor mattress for you to purchase. In our reviews, we have strived to remain impartial and unbiased while ranking the products, and we believe the above to be top of their class. We believe your reviewing the same will help you arrive at the best floor mattress for you from these worthy candidates while we did consider various metrics. So, here’s what you should consider, much as we did:
a) The Price
Like most other purchase decisions, the price is among the central considerations one should ever take into account. However, it is often unwise to focus solely on the lowest price as this will often leave you with a sub-standard, often little-known product. Instead, the first step should always be to determine the appropriate price range. From there on, it is just a matter of looking for the product that affords you the most value while still sparing your pocket some change.
In our specific case, most of the best floor mattress options are priced between $60 on the lowest side, rising to a high of $160. Of course, some options will be both higher up and lower this specific price range. However, this range will suit you well if you are not looking for anything overly lavish, or are too cheap. While shopping, also look out for discounts, coupons, and any other offer that will help you shed some bucks off the list price. Every cent should count after all, right?
b) The Quality of the Mattress and Its Constituent Parts
A quality mattress will serve its purpose without much fuss. When made of high-quality material, such a mattress will remain comfortable for years without sagging or developing odors, creases, or lumps. The best floor mattress options have an estimated useful life spanning between 5 – 6 years. Such durability is only assured if the product is made from the highest quality materials, though, so be on the lookout for counterfeits. As a rule of thumb, query the certifications that a mattress option holds. CertiPUR US is the top pillow and mattress certification standard within North America. Any product bearing such a mark points to its use of genuine, environment-friendly, and user-friendly materials.
c) The Comfort Level
It would be unwise to expect similar comforts from even the best floor mattress options in the world as they are all made from different products. However, even in their different comfort levels, a quality mattress should be comfy enough to allow you to wake up without any sprains or pains on the neck or back. To this end, you should always seek out a mattress option that provides sufficient cushioning to your body. One key element in determining this is to establish your favorite sleeping position. The answer to the above question will help you determine what mattress option will give you the best, most comfortable sleep.
d) Product Add-Ons
Most products reviewed above also come with added perks when you purchase them. These freebies are many and highly differentiated from free shipping to free travel bags, returns duration, and even extended warranties.
Warranties and returns period are among the most attractive add-ons for any product. The latter allows you to try out a product and return it for a full refund if unsatisfied, no questions asked. On the other hand, warranties promise you free repairs and restoration for any faults identified within the warranty period that can be traced back to the retailer.
Another stellar add-on that’s less talked about is the anti-slip feature present in most mattresses. This feature enables users to
The other little known add-ons can be of greater importance to you, too, depending on your mattress preferences and uses. For instance, if you are one to camp regularly, then a mattress that comes with a travel bag would be much appreciated.
The Two Main Types of Floor Mattresses
The two main types of floor mattresses are foldable floor mattresses and roll-up mattresses. Foldable mattresses come as either bi-fold, meaning that they can be folded up in half, or as tri-fold, for those that fold into thirds. As a rule of thumb, there are considerations you should always follow when shopping for a foldable mattress, namely:
- Multiple layers of foam allow the bottom layer to be heavy-duty for longevity and the top layer to be plush and comfortable.
- Between 3” and 6” of thickness.
- The inclusion of no-slip features helps to prevent sliding.
- The presence of a removable cover.
On the other hand, rollable models are typically thinner than foldable mattress options. Other than fold when not in use, these mattresses simply roll when you need them stored. To complete the set-up, the mattress comes with a tie strap to secure the bundle once rolled. Before you shop for a roll-up mattress, though, here is what you should take into account:
- Mattress thickness of between 2″ – 4.”
- Presence of a non-removable cover.
- Only one layer of foam for most models.
- Consumption of less space when rolled up.
Given the above differences, deciding what to get between a fold and rollable floor mattress ultimately remains with the consumer. Looking for a lighter, more space-efficient option, then rollable mattress is better suited. However, if you intend to get a more comfortable mattress, you would be better served by a foldable mattress. However, this added comfort would come at the added cost of being heavier and taking up extra space.
The Main Uses of a Floor Mattress
There are many uses of a floor mattress. It is highly recommended when shopping for temporary sleeping arrangements. Homeowners and renters would find a floor mattress that offers sweet, restful nights before they are quickly rolled up and stored for later use. They are extremely light, ensuring great and convenient carriage for users that spend plenty of time outdoors. In more detail, the best floor mattress options will be amazing companions when out;
- Camping in the woods.
- Sleeping in temporary living quarters.
- Hosting overnight guests at home.
- Sleeping in a mobile home bed/caravan.
- Spending time in a dorm room.
- Making a sofa bed more comfortable
- Using it as an alternative to a yoga mat.
- Using it as a better option as compared to a physical therapy mat.
- As an alternative to a children’s play mat.
The main advantages of using floor mattresses
- Floor mattresses are easy to store and transport.
- Compared to other standard mattress options they are inexpensive.
- The options are among the best floor options available for hot sleepers, mainly because one sleeps close to the floor.
- Floor mattresses are also quite durable and with a lifespan spanning five years.
The main disadvantages
- Sleeping on the floor predisposes one to dust mite, mold, bacteria, and bugs.
- Floor mattresses have also been noted to be less responsive during sex.
- Most mattresses also come with a little to no warranty.
- Most floor mattresses come with little to zero warranty coverage.
All in all, the best floor mattress is an option that provides a travel-friendly alternative to standard mattresses while at the same time not having you break the bank when purchasing it. The floor mattress also allows you to save extra space at home or away. It is versatile enough to enable dozens of different uses, from yoga to sleeping and everything else in-between.
Go through our top eight products again before you settle on your final choice. For good measure, query the factors one should consider when shopping for the mattress, while at the same time familiarizing yourself with the benefits and drawbacks of using the mattress. In doing so, you will find yourself having invested in a high-quality mattress that will last you for years.